Sources of Australian Pop Records
from the 50s, 60s and 70s
[plus some Aussie originals and some New Zealanders]
ORIGINALS - COVERS - REMAKES
SONGWRITERS - CHART POSITIONS
Browse by artist
Browse by song title
'LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO MY SONG' - Melanie Safka
LAST 5 NEW PAGES, LATEST AT THE TOP:
• The Clik - Mary Mary (1970)
• Robert Helpmann - Surfer Doll (1964) + UPDATED
• Yvonne Barrett - Send Her Away (1966)
• The Iguana - Good News (1969)
• Multiple Balloon - Good News (1970)
• The Iguana - Requiem: 820 Latham (1969)
• The Executives - Requiem: 820 Latham (1968)
RECENTLY UPDATED PAGES:
• Yvonne Barrett - Little People
• The Hergs - Cadillac
• Johnny Rebb - Hey Sheriff + FURTHER UPDATE
• The La De Das - Hey Baby
• Richard Wright & The Vikings - Hey Baby
• Jeff St John & The Id - Big Time Operator
OBSCURE ORIGINATORS DEPT
In 1959 this Hawaiian singer, little-known outside his home state, recorded the original version of a song that became one of Johnny O'Keefe's biggest hits and best remembered oldies.
JO'K heard the song from one of its co-writers, an American who was touring Australia in the band of Tommy Sands. It had been written in Hawaii, en route to Australia.
What was the Australian hit song that this singer from Hawaii originated? More here.
NEW TO THE LINKS PAGE
• TuneFind: songs on TV and film soundtracks
• 100 songs that changed history, from Time Out magazine
• The Listener-In: my new blog on Aussie radio airchecks.
• MMONE: The Music Museum of New England [USA]
• Stage musicals: data at Ovrtur
AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER SONG HISTORY SITE SINCE 2004
Website by Lyn Nuttall.
Development: Lachlan Nuttall. Graphics: Gina Nuttall.
© Lyn Nuttall 2004-2018
Chart positions courtesy of Gavin Ryan's Australian Chart Books and Dean Scapolo's Complete NZ Music Charts.
Special thanks to Terry Stacey for information, corrections and suggestions.
Thanks also to Tony Watson, Joop Jansen, More...